Friday, October 4, 2024

Colin Blunstone

Colin Blunstone - One Year (1971) ****

Nominated by: Tom Jnr

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition: Say You Don't Mind

As Lew pointed out, when The Zombies died (ho ho ho) Colin eventually embarked on a solo career and One Year was his first album.

Baroque pop. Is it a thing? Discuss. Or just play Misty Roses to unbelievers.

B.P.'s a fusion genre combining pop with elements of classical music and Colin may be seen as a poster boy for how it can be done well.

He's got that beautiful, breathy, close to the microphone, hushed vocal ability and he uses that strength well on One Year (it took a year to record). It has quite a melancholy sound thanks to his vocal style, plus a relationship break-up during that year, which obviously caused some angst.

I've heard One Year a few times over the years but never bought it, I guess because I prefer my melancholy presented in a more uplifting way (I was listening to The Beautiful South's Blue is the Colour just before One Year), but this is a beautiful sounding album, albeit a tad depressing. Clearly it was a labour of love (sorry). 

Although I'll be sticking to the more rock moves of The Zombies, thanks for giving me the chance to revisit this one, Lew.  

No comments:

Post a Comment