Thursday, June 29, 2023

Riverhead

Goldenhorse - Riverhead (2002) 

****

Nominated by: KS

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Maybe Tomorrow

Goldenhorse are new to me. I realise they are quite popular but it slipped past my radar in 2002.

I must confess, I wasn't too fussed the first time I heard Riverhead. I struggled to differentiate the songs and the female voice was cool, but she was maybe a bit too cool? I'd had a hard day and the album didn't suit my mood.

Subsequent listens though - and I get it. 

Actually, I grew to love it. This was a slow burn. That first listen in my car on the commute homeward did it a disservice.

Listening at home, in the evening after a long day at the brick factory, was a way better experience.

I'm glad I persevered. The vocalist - Kristen Morrell (I did some research) is terrific. Her style shapeshifts a lot - she seems to adopt a slightly different style in service of each song.

Highlights popped up after the third listen with regularity. I think I like her singing on Maybe Tomorrow best, and the noisier guitar stylings of Spice Islands really appealed.

Riverhead, the song, is another highlight - it develops really well, and the male/female interplay works. 

One slight negative is that side one is (much?) stronger than side two. Maintaining quality over a whole album is tricky. I also don't quite know what to make of Baby's Been Bad - the dip into a kiwi version of ska is a tad off putting - a good B-side I would have thought.

Still, those are just slight niggles. They get back on track with the playful American Wife and the last track is a nice change of pace. It has a darker, quieter mood which is needed by this point with some lovely folky guitar and harmonies which develops into some heavy electric guitar - I'm a sucker for this type of song!

Champion selection Mr Simms. I'm actually going to look for a copy of this one! That's high praise - it's only the third such purchase (after The Chills - which you bought for me - smiley face, and The Waterboys. I have circled back to that album a lot GK.

No comments:

Post a Comment