Thursday, November 3, 2022

Sing 'Bravo Bravo'

DD Smash The Optimist (1984) ***

Nominated by: KS

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Whaling  


First off - what a great cover! New Zealand bands/musicians aren't really noted for their flair with cover design but this one bucks that idea fully with its homage to Harold Lloyd's silent movie pose (on the right).

In NZ, Dave Dobbyn has made it to National Treasure level, but, interestingly, when I used him as a entry in MNAC my northern hemisphere family were largely unimpressed - likening him to a NZ journeyman musician, kind of Bruce Springsteen in terms of his output. Not a bad comparison in my world, but they aren't really Bruce Springsteen types. I could see what they were getting at though as DD does use similar tropes in his solo years.

But anyway - back in the eighties...

DD Smash had a three album career and that band was his vehicle between Th'Dudes and going solo. He broke up the band after The Optimist.

I should add that I am no where near the fan that GK and KS are of DD. While I own some solo stuff, and a compilation of Th'Dudes, I don't own any DD Smashs.

The album's well named - it could also be called 'The Perky Album', as most are upbeat positive songs, with optimism galore coming from what must have been a successful relationship (She Loves Me Back).

The songs themselves fall into three categories for me - the sublime (Magic and Whaling), the okay (such as Actor which sounds like DD was using Ghostbusters for inspiration) and the embarrassing last three songs (the crooning/scatting attempted Sinatra impression on Headstart is odd, the oh dear me casual racism of Tobacco Indian, and the failure of Guilty Thru Neglect to be deep and meaningful). 

So, for me, this isn't a great NZ album. It has a few things going against it - the eighties production with synths and Linn drums instantly pin it to that era; plus those last three songs which contrast starkly with Magic and Whaling.

But, it is a good NZ album - those vocals, Paul Weller's Style Council like horns, that chirpy upbeatness throughout, and the backing singers giving the Nu Zild pop sheen (must be the usual crew on this) all give it a unique place in his canon.

What really sustains me throughout is DD's vocal ability - he certainly carries the weaker material with a passionate, all in delivery. Gotta love that.

So, a three star award, but I know that Greg and Kevy will rate it a lot higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment