Tuesday, April 4, 2023

Baloney again

Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia (2000) *** 

Nominated by: Big G

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  The Last Laugh

Interesting title and cover image. I'm guessing that the modern equivalent of Sailing To Philadelphia is flying. It's a startling image thanks to the cropping of most of the plane. Classy and understated.

That sums up this album actually, and Mark's guitar skills.

Now, cards on the table, aside from their first album and Making Movies, I do not own the huge sellers in the Dire Straits catalogue. 

Why is that, you wonder? Musical snobbery? Maybe a bit. I was a bit contrary back in the day and avoided some bands. I certainly avoided Brothers In Arms - mainly because my brother liked it! GK loved the band from the off and tried to interest me in them in the late seventies but I found other things I liked more.

Partly it's Mark's vocals which don't do it for me. When James Taylor enters on the title track the stark contrast is a shock (same as Van the man). I wished he'd (they'd) sung the whole thing! Mostly I think it's Knopfler's lazy cigarette damaged mumbled drawl delivery - there's not much variation in pitch and words are often very difficult to understand so I tend to lose interest over an album.

Anyway, enough faffing around GK. Let's get to it!

To me, this album sounds like a laid back 2000 Dire Straits' album. In truth there's not much difference between the two as Mark sang and played guitar for Dire Straits and he does the same here. The only difference is that if he'd used the Dire Straits name for this one, he'd have sold a gazillion more copies I suspect.

So, the highlights. Guitar wise - opening track What It Is is sublime! Song wise,  Speedway At Nazareth sounds like an outtake from Making Movies (so, yes, I like it a lot). At six minutes plus it could have stretched out even more and kept me spellbound. Overall, I'll plump for the Van vehicle The Last Laugh. The great man adds a lot to the familiar Knopfler style.

And the lowlights (the Baloney again if you will), and I suspect these are the songs GK and Kevy may like the most: El Macho drifts along pleasantly but it's a tad long; Prairie Wedding, Wanderlust are just another couple of mid paced songs and his voice is too close for my comfort. So a mid album slackening of pace is an issue for me.

Bottom line - a three star rating = pretty fine! 

No comments:

Post a Comment