Thursday, February 2, 2023

Sundrop

Funkmammoth - Bird Watching (2016) **

Nominated by: Gee Kay

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Laughter In The Rain

GK prefaced his selection by saying that he often listens to this one 'on a warm Sunday afternoon as I sit on the deck with a book and a cool beverage'. I can picture the scene! And what's more, I dare say this album makes more sense in that context.

Alas, I am listening to it in my music room on a wet day without the cool beverage.

So, it does not make too much sense to me, given my context.

I do have loads of birds for company at Maple Grove though. And I like birds.  

Funkmammoth is a guy, like DJ Shadow, who loves using samples of existing material that he can morph around and manipulate to make 'new' versions of much loved songs, albeit guilty pleasures by people like Neil Sedaka (Walking In The Rain), Gilbert O'Sullivan (Alone, Not Alone), and Michael Franks (It'll Be Okay) among others.

This is all well and good to a point. How original is it? Well that can go different ways on the continuum depending on your point of view and feelings about technology and the source material - from not very to fresh as a daisy. I tend towards the former with Mr Funkmammoth, but that's just me.

The annoying aspects for me were the moments that simulate a faulty CD sticking. Not sure how GK can read through those jolting moments - maybe that's when he takes a sip or five from his cool beverage. My brain is annoyed by that conceit, as well as the playing around with the speed of the vocals - Sundrop and Left Out To Dry made me grind my teeth!

I'm certainly not averse to this kind of idea. I own Entroducing, and albums by St Germain and The Amorphis Androgynous for instance, but their selection of source material is much more to my taste and comes without the juddering tape manipulations.

Best Funkmammoth moments for me - Bird Watching, Laughter In The Rain because I love that song and Mourning Dove which is based on the Minnie Rippington's Lovin' You and it's a cool tune.

I'm pleased to make his acquaintance but it didn't do much for me GK. I look forward to reading Kevy's five star review. He'll love it, I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment