Thursday, February 9, 2023

The way it works

Soaked Oats - Working Title (2022) ****

Nominated by: KS

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Pink Beach

It was fun listening to this and spotting the influences. In the end I think I came up with Britpop (as influenced by Revolver era Beatles) mixed with Kraut-rock, New Order style synth pop, and Lou Reed - all put into a blender so that what emerges is something like a Dunedin version of  Tame Impala.

I liked a lot of things about the album - helps that I love to varying degrees all those individual influences, and only two tracks became ones I skipped on the third run through.

It's a sign of a good album that I changed my mind a number of times around which track to feature- The Way It Works, Something, Headline Opinion, Simple Pleasures and Day To Day (great closing track) were all in the running but I went with Pink Frost. Sorry - Pink Beach.

Call me crazy but apart from the title which alludes to it - I heard echoes of that kiwi classic in the music and that guitar.

Those two tracks I skipped? Third track, Divide Symbol, which kills the momentum and Daemon is a lengthy indulgence which tries to be deep and meaningful but is just tedious.

So, a four star triumph, even if I added the extra star to reward the Soaked Porridge blokes (I think they are all blokes) for being adventurous with that cocktail of influences and daring to venture into new sonic pastures.

No comments:

Post a Comment