Monday, February 13, 2023

Leave the planet

For Tracy Hyde - Hotel Insomnia (1971) *****

Nominated by: Tom senior

Music club: Monday Night Album Club

Playlist addition:  Friends, The First Time (is the last time)

Sometimes it can be a bit of a struggle to listen to the album choice of the week three times. That's always my aim - to give an album a chance, three times seems fair.

No struggle this time out. I loved the sound of For Tracy Hyde from the off, and they just better and better with each listen.

Given they sing in their native Japanese I have no clue what they are on about but that's half the fun too - as with early REM, certain Rolling Stones songs and bands like Rammstein, I can make up my own meanings for songs.

Tom says they are a Japanese shoegaze band who sound like they came from the nineties and I can hear that but at times I hear all sorts of other influences and sounds. For instance, The La's, the Beach Boys via The High Llamas at times (Natalie for instance) and psychedelic experiments of various bands sprang to mind as I listened.

Great introduction Tom.

No comments:

Post a Comment