Monday, November 14, 2022

A monkey on a silver string

Linda Hoover I Mean To Shine (1970) **

Nominated by: Tom

Music club: MNAC

Playlist addition:  Jones ('a monkey on a silver string' anyone?)

I could have sworn this was a put on in the tradition of National Lampoon, Austen Powers or Sir Peter Jackson's Forgotten Silver. 

The back story is so elaborate (recorded with nascent Steely Dan members but shelved by Morris Levy's Roulette Records for 50ish years) it seemed far fetched, and then when Linda starts singing I was gobsmacked. It's so cringingly 1970 earnest I thought it couldn't be for real. All that, plus the weirdly smutty Jones! Surely all this must be a mockumentary/spoof a la A Mighty Wind.

Nope. It all seems legit.

This wouldn't have been current even if it had been released in 1970. Her singing style is so dated now, but it was also dated by 1970.

1970. Not the greatest year for music (1971 takes that crown), but still - this is the year of Led Zeppelin III, In The Wake Of Poseidon, Morrison Hotel and Let It Be, among others.

I Mean To Shine would have sunk without trace in 1970. I'll be really keen to see what Tom, Lew and Alex made of this album. If they love it, I'll have to eat my hat.

For my part, I struggled to listen to it the requisite three times, and finding a highlight wasn't easy at all. I've gone for Jones for its hilarious lyrics and kinky subtext (I think), over the also hilarious cover version of Stephen Stills' 4+20 (from that same year's CSN and Y album - Deja Vu ). She seems to have completely misread the suicidal angst in the song, and instead earnestly presents a jaunty sing-along. Golly!

As to the much hyped Steely Dan appearance - I'm hard pressed to hear any green shoots leading to their stellar career. 

Apart from the entertaining back story, I don't think Tom knew much about this record before he selected it. At least, I'm hoping that!

No comments:

Post a Comment