Monday, July 3, 2023

I guess I'm right on the edge (Floodhead)

Floodhead - Tape Runs Out (2023) ****

Nominated by: Tom

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition:  Souvenir

Floodhead get a big tick from me. Melodic, proggy, a bit inscrutable (I keep glimpsing fragments of lyrics) and I'm a sucker for layers of distorted guitars (plenty of shoegaze bands spring to mind).

I also like the way it kind of washes over me. I've listened to the album many times in the past fortnight and I have struggled to differentiate individual songs - not a criticism - it's more that it's a cohesive sound and I've enjoyed that aspect of it each time.

Favs: Jab; Overseas Assignment; Souvenir; Pillowtalk

Slight criticism: A couple of the songs didn't do much for me after repeat listens - 90 degrees C frinstance. But they end strongly with the progressive rock stylings of Pillowtalk

And, band names are tricky things as you are aware, Tom. Floodhead? What does that conjure up? They could have done better, I feel. 

Nevermind. This is a great find Tom. They deserve to be successful but prog rock is a very crowded market these days. I wish them luck though.

No comments:

Post a Comment