Tuesday, July 19, 2022

It's hard to kill a bad thing

Mark Lanegan and Isobel Campbell  Ballad Of The Broken Seas (2006) ** 

Nominated by: Lewis Kirkham

Music club: MNAC

Highlight: It's Hard To Kill a Bad Thing 

 

Prior to this one, I knew nothing of Isobel Campbell's solo career (I do own a Belle and Sebastian album) and Mark Lanegan I only know from his grunge years as part of Screaming Trees. I take it from the comms, though, that you lot are all familiar and fans. I feel like I'm definitely the odd man out on this one.

 

Sorry Lew, I just don't get the appeal of this record. Musically it's fine - pleasant stuff mostly but the spoken style vocals by ML is not to my taste. My issue.

 

The male/female duo idea often works for acts like Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood, Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs, Robert Plant and Alison Krauss, Dean and Britta etc. etc

 

But Mark and Isobel didn't move me particularly. It sounds to me a bit like they may have been in different studios and mashed this together but I don't know.

 

HighlightsRevolver/ Honey Child actually have some duo singing that I can embrace; Saturday's Gone appeals; It's Hard to Kill a Bad Thing has some lovely guitar and is my favourite track.

No comments:

Post a Comment