Monday, March 18, 2024

Easter lily

Ichiko Aoba Windswept Adan (2023) ***

Nominated by: Tom 

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition: Dawn In The Adan

You wait for ages and then two ambient records in a row come along!

I struggled to engage with Ichiko for the most part. I tried a variety of listening situations (commute/working/relaxing), but aside from Dawn In The Adam which had a bit of prog meat on its bones, most of the songs glided past me like beautiful butterflies but they didn't leave me much to grab onto.

Listening to songs sung in a foreign language is a lovely thing though, and so, even if I had no clue as to the meaning, I enjoyed the sound of the lyrics, and aimed to use my imagination.

A couple of the songs reminded me of Yoko and specifically her song Who Has The Wind - that gentle, fragile sound. Yoko also sings in Japanese on some songs with the same lovely affectation as Ichiko.

Apart from that I caught glimpses of other Japanese ambient composers like Haruomi Hosono, and bands/musicians working the prog end of the spectrum like Stomu Yamashta - which I much prefer.

Pleasant on the ear, but not an album I'll come back to again.

No comments:

Post a Comment