Thursday, November 30, 2023

The best part (Young Mister)

Young Mister - Young Mister  (2016) *****

Nominated by: Gee Kay

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Anybody Out There

After about the sixth run through, I knew this was a five star classic because I realised I had changed my playlist choice every time I listened to the album. 

Yes, every song is an instant keeper. I have only positive comments for Young Mister! What a great find.

Like a lot of other power pop bands, Young Mister has echoes of other power pop bands (Cheap Trick, Badfinger, Raspberries etc) but the distinctive vocals by Steven Fiore add a point of difference.

Are there any points against?

How about it fitting on one side of a Dindy C60?

Nope - its brevity as an album is an asset - leaves me wanting more. 

The lyrics? I don't even care that the lyrics aren't great at times. It's a bit like Nil Fun's attitude to lyrics - as long as it sounds right - go for it.

Any weak songs?

Nope - I'll admit that it took 3 or 4 listens to really grab me lock stock and two smoking barrels, but in the end, the songs I didn't warm to initially quickly became favourites. Smiley faces all round!

Your best selection since your last best selection Gee Kay! Nice one Stu!

No comments:

Post a Comment