Thursday, November 16, 2023

Misty frequencies

Che FuThe Navigator (2001) ***

Nominated by: KS

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Misty Frequencies

For various reasons I just don't get the appeal of three genres: House/ trance; opera; and rap. Individual songs - sure. But a whole album? No thanks.

So I approached The Navigator with caution, and breathed a sigh of relief for the first few songs. Misty Frequencies features Che Fu's smooooth vocals and has a lovely easy lopping beat. It's everything you expect of a Pacifika groove.

Unfortunately, that's the best moment on the album for me. The next two tracks are okay, a bit ho hum, and then we're off into a pile of songs that combine some singing and some rap, Che Fu style. 

The positive thing here is that the subject matter isn't offensive or too confronting and the musical sounds remain solid and in the groove. So while I can sway to the beat, I tend to drift off when the rap starts in something like Top Floor, and I reach for the skip button.

I know I'll be in the minority for this one. I can just picture my amigos on their sun drenched decks, in Hawaii shirts and straw hats, sipping their banana daiquiris with this playing in the background. And, all power to them.

I'm way more boring and reading a book while listening to this would drive me batty. I can read to heavy metal, but once rap gets going I lose focus immediately, and try to focus on the words. Just me.

Even though I'd not listen to this by choice, I'm still happy Kev suggested it. I do like trying to get to grips with this stuff from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment