Thursday, September 21, 2023

Death of a popular song (Tim Finn)

Tim Finn - Say It Is S0 (1999) **** 

Nominated by: Kevy

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Underwater Mountain

I was shocked to see so many albums of Tim's on Spotify that I had never heard, or was even aware of their existence. He was definitely flying under my radar, but not only mine I suspect.

This is one such. It's good. Not a great Tim Finn album, but a good one.

Like so many of his albums he leads off with an instant success. Underwater Mountain maintains the tradition brilliantly. It seems effortless to him - creating these kinds of commercially vibrant songs.

I like many things about this album and if he sounds like this in concert on Saturday night I'll be well pleased. He sings well, he's a great NZ vocalist so no surprise there. His voice is starting to sound more lived in but he's getting on a bit now. Still great though.

Currents is another brilliant song, effortless again and kind of thrown in mid album like - meh, I can toss these songs off no problem mate. Similarly Death Of A Popular Song. Last song, Rest, is also a beauty - maybe even the best song on the album. It certainly climaxes the album and it really must have seemed an obvious closer as they recorded the songs. 

The album is just right length wise - not too long, not too short.

Only song I skipped after the first listen was Good Together. I don't think this type of smug type of song works for Tim, and I just found it kind of annoying - personal taste I guess.

A very pleasant surprise Kev! Loved it! On to the concert!!

No comments:

Post a Comment