Thursday, August 24, 2023

Try

Soda Blonde - Small Talk (2021) ***

Nominated by: GK

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Tiny Darkness


ABBA-esque first track Tiny Darkness kicks things off well with a great perky up tempo slice of synth-pop/ alt pop. Unfortunately that one appears to be something of an outlier on this set.

Things get a little strained after that one as the heavily processed/ synth sounds largely take over the songs. Plus the vocals become more bombastic. Some of the songs and delivery remind me of Florence and the Machine's second album Ceremonials. I really enjoyed their first album - Lungs, but then the follow up lathered up with overly dramatic big sounds. So, Ceremonials was a mis-step for me.

Soda Blonde's Faye O'Rourke sounds like she has been inspired by Florence Welch. She clearly has a very powerful voice and the material suits her on Small Talk. I'd say she's mostly half way between Lungs (the more understated ones like I Still Have Feelings For You) and Ceremonials (Holy Roses).

It's purely a matter of personal taste, I'd say (and have said plenty of times). Some voices I love and connect with - Patti, Grace, Janis, Yoko and so on. Other voices I like (like Faye) but don't actually connect with emotionally. Nobody's fault but mine.

Special mention to the hypnosis inspired artwork - what a great cover! Perfect.

So - I like it but don't love it = three stars for me and a hearty thank you for the introduction GK.

No comments:

Post a Comment