Thursday, August 31, 2023

Bounce around

minisnap - bounce around (2007) *****

Nominated by: Kevy

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Innocent

Kevy's instructions were to listen to the first few songs and try to guess who the band was, minus the lead singer. I'm big on compliance.

To me it sounded quite indie rocky for a start - so I thought maybe The Beths, then the Dunedin jaggly indie-pop sound predominated and I wondered if Look Blue Go Purple had reconstituted themselves. Both of those bands I love, so this album was already off to a flyer!

I was kind of on the right lines. It's The Bats, without main man Robert Scott. I also love The Bats!

Minisnap is roughly The Bats with lead guitarist Kaye Woodward taking over vocals and writing duties.

Those first three songs were all great and third song - Innocent, has a killer riff.

I loved everything about this album - the off kilter song development, the non-polished vocals (reminded me a bit of The Marine Girls sound with Tracey Thorn), the beaty pulse. Every song was terrific - no downside.

I need to find a physical copy of this one Kevy - maybe your finest selection yet (high praise with Golden Horse and The Chills also hitting the heights).

Actually, speaking of Golden Horse - I couldn't believe how much better it sounded on CD than on Spotify. It really pops on CD.

Great introduction to a new band/voice - thanks KS. Go you good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment