Thursday, July 20, 2023

Hands of my heart

The Warratahs - Only Game In Town (1988) ***

Nominated by: K S

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Hands Of My Heart

I can well understand the appeal of country music for Kevy and millions of others. There is a high authenticity level that good country music consistently meets (like The Warratahs and The Hamilton County Bluegrass Band). No eighties pesky drum machines, synthesizers or high falutin' attitudes. No sirree Bob.

The Only Game In Town was the debut album and a shot in the arm for Nu Zild country music in the late eighties.

How has it stood up to the ravages of time? Well, pretty well actually because it doesn't bow down to those eighties production values that immediately date records. 

I do like my country with a bit of a pop attitude, so Hands Of My Heart is my clear standout track.

Worthy of note: the Nu Zild context-o-meter has a high reading with a couple of local references, however, the American accented singing at times tries to play it both ways, It's probably an unconscious thing on Barry Saunders part, but it does detract a tad from my listening pleasure.

A very minor point though, as the spirited performances and the honest Joe, wide open country, vibe is very much present and correct from Barry and the boys.

Nice one Stu!

No comments:

Post a Comment