Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Lucky girl

Fazerdaze - Morningside (2017) ****

Nominated by: KS

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Last To Sleep

The ability, these daze, to bypass studios and producers and technical boffins and instead sit in your bedroom with a laptop and a few instruments has produced a vast array of music for voracious online platforms.

This incredible outpouring of music coming from the nation's bedrooms is hard to keep track of but thankfully we have Kevin Simms up our collective sleeves, to keep us apprised.

Fazerdaze is, he informs us,  actually a young lady, Amelia Rahayu Murray, and she's very talented.

The good news is that she sings brilliantly and she can play anything it seems (unless it's all computer generated - who knows in these AI assisted daze).

I'm very partial to the shoegaze/ dream pop genres generally and this is a good example.

Fav tracks - Take It Slow, Jennifer, Last To Sleep, Misread.

Weaknesses - 1) at times the thin production bares its head (Lucky Girl an early example). If this was Kevin Shields he'd have layered up big time. In fact this album would be perfect soundtrack fodder for a Sofia Coppola movie like Lost In Translation. 2) Some of the songs sound a little same/same at times. Mainly because she sings them all in a similar dreamy style. I have no issue with the fact I can't understand what she's actually saying btw.

The album works best when I just stick it on and let it wash over me while I'm at school in the morning catching up with the day's doing. Not at its best, though, on the commute home when I need something energetic to keep me awake.

Bottom line - this is surprisingly good, coherent, infectious Shoegaze. Four stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment