Sunday, February 26, 2023

What's it all about?

JockstrapI Love You Jennifer B (2022) ***

Nominated by: Lew

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition:  What's It All About?

Whenever a jazz album rears its head in MNAC, various members preface remarks with a disclaimer around their inadequacies when approaching that genre. 

I feel exactly like that with Jockstrap's mix of electronica, dubstep, and noise.

Mainly because I don't listen to this type of music regularly enough so I have little frame of reference or critical faculties. In other words, I have no idea what's going on and I am in no way qualified to offer opinions about the quality of the music.

But, here goes anyway...

The first two tracks passed me by and then the fog started to clear a little with Greatest Hits and What's It All About? which featured strings and regular instruments. Huh??

It was back to experimental stuff after that little oasis of relative normality, until Glasgow. I'm sure there are good reasons for all the harp and electronic treatments, I just don't get it.

The vocals by Georgia Ellery (I looked Jockstrap up) are another source of critical frustration - I have no idea what's going on with her vocals.

So, it was largely an exercise in frustration for me Lew (I tried 50/50 a few times and just could nae do it). 

I'll stick to Greatest Hits, What's It All About?, Lancaster Court and Glasgow as being the ones I found more accessible and interesting. Those groovy strings and acoustic guitars hook me in!

What's with that cover btw? No effort expended on that, seemingly. Or again - am I missing something?

Thanks for broadening my musical palette, Lew.

No comments:

Post a Comment