Tuesday, March 21, 2023

For Wanda

A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone but Shafts if Light Sometimes Grace the Corner of Our Rooms... (2000) ***

Nominated by: Alex

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition:  Sit In The Middle Of Three Galloping Dogs  

I'm partial to many of the bands/artists in the postrock genre - they often operate in a vocal free zone, and, interestingly, they are often magpies - stealing bits and pieces from all sorts of other genres to create interesting, challenging, new music.

A Silver Mt. Zion are no exception. The two guys - guitarists Efrim Menuck, Thierry Amar, and violinist Sophie Trudeau produce music that to my ears builds on elements of ambient, avant-garde and prog rock (Galloping Dogs is a favourite). As well as that I heard things that reminded me of Gregorian chants, church steeple bells, and John Lennon's radio play.

I'll admit, it took me a few listens to relax into it. First play was a bit of a shock to the system - that first track makes you adjust and recalibrate your ears. Once I heard it through a few times it made more sense, and Alex's note that it was intended to be two sides really helped.

Favourite tracks: Galloping dogs and Stumble Then Rise On Some Awkward Morning - that last one is particularly affecting. Perfectly named too.

Thanks Alex - I would not have found this on my own volition so grateful for the selection.

No comments:

Post a Comment