Tuesday, July 19, 2022

Love is a delicate rhyme

Jamie Lawson - Jamie Lawson (2015) **  

Nominated by: Greg Knowles

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  All Is Beauty

Okay - cards on the table - I really struggled to listen to this 3 times - by the third one I was skipping a lot and grinding my teeth.

While I can see the appeal for this sort of stuff, it doesn't appeal to me necessarily.

 

That said - I fully respect your choices - we all love music - sometimes it's just a matter of our personal taste. Plus, I don't want to be a negative Nelly because anyone creative and brave enough to front up deserves kudos of sorts and there are three (four at a pinch) songs that I didn't skip and that I actually enjoyed each time.

 

Wasn't Expecting That - was effective as an opener - it's easy on the brain with a nice hook - sounds very much like a Joan Armatrading style song; All Is Beauty is built on some lovely guitar and the by now customary relaxed vocal; Cold In Ohio is okay as well - if a bit gluggy; then I'm scratching a tad for a fourth - Ahead Of Myself isn't too annoying.

 

For me - the rest were either too earnest or dirgey or just pleasant easy listening (nothing wrong with that especially but I like music with more energy and oomph).

 

So - put those four songs on an EP and I'd have been there! As it is - it's a two star/ meh from me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment