Jenny Morris - Shiver (1989) ***
Nominated by: KS
Music club: Wander to Wozza's
Playlist addition: She Has To be Loved
I can appreciate a lot of things about Jenny Morris. There's her voice for starters - she has such a rich tone and texture to her vocal style. She's definitely got a unique sound, with one minor, innsy winnsy, caveat and this is a me problem. I really don't like that vocal tick some females have where they sing in a raspy guttural way from the throat. It's that sound that June Carter has when singing Jackson with Johnny and Jenny has two moments on the album where she sings in that way. I. Don't. Like. It.
[Sorry - had to get that off my chest. I feel better now].
Her songwriting is another strength. Although the producer Andrew Farriss (on loan from INXS) has a hand in three of the songs, mainly it's Jenny's songs that dominate. A third strength is having a big hit and She Has To Be Loved was a great single. It's easily the best song on the album but Aotearoa and Saved Me aren't too far behind.
Having said that, although I appreciate and admire her abilities, I was never a big fan. For me, the eighties production tropes got in the way then and they do now - so that's a factor that I still find hard to get past. Another me problem.
On the plus side, it's a very NZ-centric album with Land Of The Long White Cloud AND Aotearoa appearing on the track listing. It's also widely held up as her best album, so - respect!
Great choice from KS, and the album does get better with age, Its sounded awesome in the car stereo on the commute this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment