Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Restless moon

Jenny Don't and The Spurs - Fire On The Ridge (2021) **

Nominated by: G 'Yee Har' K 

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Queen Of The Desert

I want to be charitable here and say that Gee Kay's slavish devotion to this record is because the lead singer, Jenny Don't, flashed her pearly whites in his direction, okay, okay - deliberately at him, during a gig (I'm assuming he was sober, but we all know about assumptions don't we).

Live (and with a few Budweisers on board) this outfit would be another thing entirely, I suspect. The sawdust on the floor, the spittoons, the spilt beer, Greg yee haring, the chicken wire fence in front of the band, the fist fights, and any number of loud American good ole boys would definitely add a certain je ne sais pas to proceedings. 

Unfortunately, all I have is the music to review. From that point of view, I have to say, at best, Jenny sounds like a gifted amateur and the band are competent. I'm no expert but she often sounds off key to me.

GK described this as cow punk music, but it doesn't sound like cow punk or outlaw country, in that it's not remotely dangerous or threatening. Actually, it's more like old fashioned country and western. At a push, I'll concede that the sound is retro country cowboy in that I picture males wearing Stetsons and arrowhead bolos and the gals all dressing like Jenny Don't.

Choosing a playlist addition was tough. The best impression of Ghost Riders In the Sky that they come up with on the album (there are a few contenders) would be Queen Of The Desert.

All up, this was a struggle, but I'm still glad I put a tentative toe in the sawdust. 

It's just not my sort of thing and it's good we all like different things. BTW: Kev will love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment