Thursday, April 4, 2024

Lost Indian

Chris Rodrigues & Abby The Spoon Lady - Working On Wall Street (2017) **

Nominated by: GK

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Lost Indian

With stripped back instrumentation comes increased scrutiny of the component parts. There are five things to comment on for this album: Chris' guitar, his harmonica, his singing, his songs and Abby's percussion.

One of those components was really good, three were okayish, and one was plain annoying.

First the positive - the guitar and, at times, the harmonica. The boy can play and could carry off a really good instrumental guitar album à la Leo Kottke. I would have given a much higher rating if he had stuck to that blueprint.

The okay - his vocals and, at times, harmonica. It's a passable delivery but he doesn't appeal to me that much. The hoedown style of Boil Them Cabbage Down, Lost John etc does not appeal at all. 

The songs are sometimes interesting, but often repetitive (Angels In Heaven just goes on and on). 

The negative - Abby and her annoying spoons often got in the way of my enjoyment. I found myself enjoying the starts to some songs, but then Abby enters. Maybe live, in the flesh so to speak, it might be wildly exciting as Noel Crombie's cameo on spoons was once per gig, but she appears on every track. 

If I came across this on a trip on the London Underground, I would definitely throw some coins into the open guitar case (I always do with guitarists who are any good), and I would stop for a song, maybe two because it would be quite a spectacle (although the no teeth thing would be a downer). but then I'd move on - nodding away to the rhythmic strains on my way to the trains.

Best moments: Lost Indian; Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (even though it goes on a bit, the change of pace is welcome).

No comments:

Post a Comment