Sunday, February 4, 2024

Withered Hand

Withered Hand - How To Love (2023) ***

Nominated by: Tom Jnr

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition:  How To Love

I quite like the sounds made by the alt-country, Americana bands that have sprung up since the early eighties. Usually it's a good honest hodge podge of styles that fuses into something easy to listen to and enjoy. It's not very taxing, so great for relaxing on a sunny day with a beverage.

For me, Withered Hand (Dan Wilson's brand name) are within the alt-country genre, even though he comes from Scotland. His sound reminds me of The Jayhawks and Golden Smog. Two bands I enjoy.

This album is a bit inconsistent though. All of those 6 minute plus songs (even though I like the title track) are a worry. It's hard to sustain interest over that length and Serenity Prayer just ends up being a grind. Sort of like a Neil Young and Crazy Horse lengthy workout that doesn't work out. Less is more.

Favorite tracks: the edited single version of Waking Up, How To Love and Still Quiet Voice.

Thanks Lew - overall an enjoyable experience but I'll be sticking to Golden Smog for my listening pleasure in this genre. Thanks for recommending though!

No comments:

Post a Comment