Sunday, May 28, 2023

Cracks

Vincent Gallo - When (2001) ***

Nominated by: Alex

Music club: MNAC

MNAC playlist addition:  My Beautiful White Dog

Alex is true to form - supplying another album/artist that I've never heard of before. 

I found a lot of the album startling, in that the plinking minimalist piano and noodling guitar sounded quite proggy in places and Gallo's vocals sound like a torch singer baring their soul (sort of).

I'm not sure if Gallo plays everything or not, it sounds like he does. The stop start drums on My Beautiful White Dog sound like he's on the kit (sampled and then repeated I'm guessing) but maybe not. I really like this track as it unwinds and fuses all sorts of swirly sounds together.

In fact, it's the instrumentals I like the most, I think. Maybe it's that jazz/prog noodling that gets me. Although When is fascinating and hooks me every time as well. Interesting.

Not an album I'd ever come across without the assistance of MNAC. Thanks for broadening my outlook Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment