Friday, April 28, 2023

New sensation

INXSKick (1987) ***

Nominated by: Biggie G

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition:  Devil Inside

Back to the eighties for Biggie G's latest selection and it's all a bit of a blur really, the late eighties.

We had two children by 1987 and were just getting used to that, plus disposable income? Ha ha ha!! No chance.

Even if I did have cash for records I would not have bought this album I suspect. It's just not to my taste, and I freely acknowledge that I am in a minority as far as appreciation of INXS goes. Plus - I'm a mass of contradictions - I love a lot of mainstream music, but I didn't go for INXS.

In my head I can divide Aussie rock bands into two basic categories: the have its and the have nots. 'It' being a certain level of authenticity.

Of the old skool bands, Cold Chisel, The Aztecs, Midnight Oil, Vertical Hold, AC DC have it.

INXS lacked that vital ingredient for me, hence me bypassing their undoubted charms. From what I could deduce from the pre internet news media, Michael Hutchence's personality certainly influenced my thoughts in this regard.

They certainly had hits (I can still admire the craft) and the first side of Kick is packed with them. But I sense that there is something contrived about Michael Hutchence et al that leaves me shrugging my shoulders. The song Mediate kind of sums that feel up - a rhyming dictionary and bingo - another song!

My problem entirely, because the band and this album went mega huge.

The hits are justifiable product - catchy, snappy, hook laden, cool Keef Richard inspired guitar riffs, anthemic sounds, Jagger-ish vocals and simplicity (it's a tough ask to craft pop this well so that it appears simple but they accomplish this).

The second side doesn't have the same quality as the first but the sound and those Stones moves are still there in abundance.

Bottom line - I know I'll be in a minority with this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment