Monday, January 16, 2023

I don't mind (The Decemberists)

The Decemberists - 5 Songs EP (2002) *****

Nominated by: Alex

Music club: MNAC

Playlist addition:  Shiny

First up selection for 2023 and Alex has chosen this to ease us in gently. Alex indicates that it's 'a charming and breezy 24 minuter that goes down easy'. Sounds like just the ticket! Especially as I've just returned from a month-long holiday that saw me travelling through 5 different time zones. Plus, I picked up a bug from the plane ride home (not covid - I had my second dose of that while in the UK).

I'm amazed that this was their debut. It's such a confident, complete sound. I'm not familiar with their other music but these songs arrive fully formed and I wouldn't be at all surprised if subsequent releases included the same earthy tones and thematic content.

The Band, Three Dog Night (Angel, Won't You Call Me - I thought Spotify had jumped to another playlist), and some Lo-Fi Dunedin bands are some touchstones for me. Mainly The Band for the rootsy old timey approach.

Charming and breezy sums up the EP well, Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment