Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Play your rock n' roll on the stereo, push the cruise control, disappear into the groove

Drew Holcomb and The Neighbors - Good Light (2013) ***

Nominated by: Greg Knowles

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition: Another Man's Shoes


Hey hey - another week goes by - where does the time go? This week has been a blur at school - covid makes your brain mushy peas and the last week of term is always tough to get through.

But - the good news - I had Drew!
I've spent many pleasant mornings this week with Drew and his neighbours kicking off my day. Pleasant is going to be the operative word in the following.
There is certainly a place in the world for this kind of easy on the ear and easy on the brain music.
That first track, Another Man's Shoes remains my favourite - it was the one I immediately felt my shoulders relax and I could breathe easy. A very pleasant sound and song. I also heard it the most because I tended to drift in and out of the music as I worked before school started (my day starts as follows - 4.30 alarm/5.45 to 6.45 commute/6.45 - 7.45 prep for the day while listening to the week's selection/7.45 first zoom meeting of the day and we're off!).
From there on in I would find myself enjoying the songs playing in the background but I often lost focus and would eventually jolt back with songs like Tennessee and Nothing Like A Woman.
My slight worry was that the songs didn't really hook into my brain - so by the next morning I'd remember that pleasant relaxing sensation with the first track and then the same thing would happen - groundhog day.
Now - bear in mind that I have had covid-brain this week (words haven't come easily and Jacky has been unwell which has disturbed my brain even more). This music was soothing and definitely a good fit for my needs this week.
My other slight problem is that this Americana sub-genre has become really over-populated with singers like Drew. Things like Ryan Adams and Wilco have carved out personas for themselves (Tomorrow btw sounds very Adamsesque) but Drew and a slew of others haven't (as yet) because of that over-population I suspect. 
So - a pleasant, soothing pretty fine 3 stars from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment