Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Did I slip? I know I stumbled

Ryan Adams - Gold (2001) **** 

Nominated by: GK 

Music club: WTWMC 

Playlist addition:  Answering Bell


Gold eh? Pretty audacious title - cocky, arrogant even. But here's the thing - damn it if he hasn't got the chops to back it up.
I'm interested in the reappraisal of artists/actors who have been called out for their behaviours via the Me Too movement or else in high profile court cases. Paul McCartney and Pete Townshend regrouped successfully but Woody Allen is forever tainted. Watching his films now comes with the knowledge of his relationship with adopted daughter/now wife. Bill Cosby though? Wouldn't listen to/buy his comedy albums now. And I quickly sold my Lostprophet CDs after learning of the lead singer's crimes (that bad that the band broke up and regrouped with a new singer).
Ryan Adams is probably now not that affected by the sexual misconduct allegations but yet...listening to his albums comes with a vague ickiness that is hard to shake. And then I start listening to his songs and the icky feeling goes.
How to divorce the person from the art? That's the thing. Tricky.
So, Gold. I wrote about the album five years ago on my music blog. I'll get to that but first my 2022 thoughts:
Effortless is a world that springs to mind. Which for me equates to brilliance because to make it seem effortless it takes a load of craft and hard work. Just listening to songs like Answering Bell and Nobody Girl - they sound effortless. The acoustic strum along, the drums kicking in perfectly, terrific guitar and the singer is relaxed. It builds and builds. Peaks and builds again. The band sounds like they are playing together in someone's lounge on a Sunday afternoon with a dappled sun casting leafy shadows on the wall. Ha! And my brain tells me this was made in a studio with hours of layered overdubs. Effortless.
The whole album sounds like that to me. It's clearly a standout in his catalogue. I don't own everything he's done but I do have eight of his albums - so enough to judge the top 3 and Gold is in there.
I'd give this a four-star, flawed genius rating. It's not quite a 5-star Wozza classic - not every track is a masterpiece - my new KS inspired barometer of what makes a classic - there aren't too many of those. Sylvia Plath and Goodnight Hollywood Blvd don't work for me (and why finish on the downbeat Goodnight?) and the trying too hard rockers (Enemy Fire; Touch Feel and Lose) knock it into flawed genius realms for my money.
If I had this on vinyl I'd play side one (ending triumphantly with Nobody Girl) much more that side two (spotty).

Great to be reminded of those five-star tracks though GK: Nobody Girl; Wild Flowers; Harder Now That It's Over; Tina Toledo etc; New York, New York; Answering Bell; La Cienega Just Smiled; When The Stars Go Blue. A good percentage of the album!!

And now - back to the future - here's a link to my 2017 review of Gold - Goo Goo G'Joob: Gonna make you love me (Ryan Adams) (LP 96 - 97) (googoogarjoob.blogspot.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment