Thursday, October 6, 2022

Going through it (Avantdale Bowling Club)

Avantdale Bowling Club - Trees (2022) ***

Nominated by: Kevy

Music club: Wander to Wozza's

Playlist addition: Going Through It  

The only time I've ever liked endearing little scamps doing their cute thing on records is Tom Clay's - 'what is segregation?' bit on What The World Needs Now/Abraham Martin and John.

Otherwise - don't do it!

Unfortunately that's how Tom Scott (a.k.a. Avantdale Bowling Club) kicks off his/their latest digital release - Trees. Then he repeats this schtick later on Remember, I Really Am Asleep? So that's strike one.

Strike two is the stoopid band/brand name. Is it Tom Scott, or is it a band? Whatever. If TS - I get that it's a modern trend to disguise yourself with an often punning nom de plume (à la Lawrence Arabia) but I am not a fan. Baa humbug.

Okay and so to the album - this is a tale of two halves. On one hand we have the fantastic acid jazzy trip hop sounds that I really love, and then we have the expletive laden rapping jammed on top of it, that I don't.

I am sure this does the biznis down in the bars/cafes of Grey Lynn/Ponsonby/Kingsland etc but not so much in  Waipukarau/ Takapau's Farmlands.

Tom Scott's rapping has forced me to explain my general aversion to this modern musical genre.

One reason is that I find the stream of consciousness rapping style jars in my brain. I can't work to rap, I can't read to rap.

Secondly, the subject matter doesn't link to my life. The lyrics often feature males bragging audaciously, males celebrating smoking illicit herbal substances, males being misogynistic, males employing gratuitous swearing, males committing crimes. Males being dicks, basically.

Thirdly, I freely admit that I don't understand the appeal. I acknowledge that I am a million miles ethically, demographically and culturally from rap music. I just don't get it.

Tom Scott's style specifically  is something I'm not qualified to comment on really. I can see how he would appeal to certain demographics but I don't actually know what they are.

But the music? Well, that's terrific throughout this album. Is Spotify working on technology to remove the vocal track from a song on their platform? If not they should be.

Kevy suggested listening to this on a Sunday morning while enjoying a coffee and a pastry. If it was just the music I'd agree wholeheartedly.

So - bottom line - 4/5 for the music; 2/5 for the rapping = holistically, let's call it a three. I am struggling to find a song to highlight though.

No comments:

Post a Comment